345 Bagot Street
Kingston, ON K7K 6T8
T: 613-541-0777
F: 613-547-4978

Monday to Thursday
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.



Jul 06, 2017

Education Law Blog

Expulsion Part IV: Program for Expelled Students


Today’s blog is about the procedure that follows if, unfortunately, a pupil is expelled after an expulsion hearing, or after an appeal hearing in front of the Family Services Review Board.

The Ontario Ministry of Education has some answers at http://edu.gov.on.ca/eng/safeschools/suspexp.html

Here are some excerpts from the website above:



What happens when students are expelled?


When students are expelled from their school only, the school board will assign them to another school in the board.

When students are expelled from all schools in the school board, the school board must offer them a program for expelled students. When students complete the program, they can apply to return to school.

Parents will receive written notice of expulsion. It will give them information on the new school or the school board program the student can access. It will also include information on how to appeal the expulsion.



What programs and supports are offered when students are expelled?


When students are expelled only from their school and moved to another school of the board, school boards must make supports and resources available to the student at that school where necessary. These supports could include anger management or individual/family counselling that are aimed to help engage and motivate students and encourage positive behaviour.

When students are expelled from all schools in the school board and agree to participate in the program for expelled students, the principal will hold a planning meeting with school and school board staff, the student, and parents (wherever possible) to identify the objectives of the Student Action Plan.

This plan identifies the academic component and supports to promote positive behaviour the student will receive in the program. The program will be based on the student’s needs, the nature and severity of the behaviour, as well as mitigating and other factors. The plan should be reviewed regularly by the school to determine the student’s progress in meeting the objectives of the plan.


To print a paper copy, click here.


This column, written by Sandra Hsia, Staff Lawyer with the Kingston Community Legal Clinic provides general legal information only about current laws. If you need legal advice you should contact a lawyer. If you are living on a low income you may be eligible for free legal help. Contact your local community legal clinic if you need help with income programs, workers’ or tenants’ rights, consumer problems, or human rights. Call Kingston Community Legal Clinic at 613-541-0777 or visit www.kclc.ca.  If have a criminal, family or immigration law problem, contact Legal Aid Ontario at 1-800-668-8258 or visit www.legalaid.on.ca.




News Page