Legal, News, Social Assistance

HOT TOPIC: Overpayment Recoveries

OW and ODSP Overpayment Recovery Rates May Increase From 5% to 10%


The Auditor General has recommended that both Ontario Works (OW) and the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) increase the amount they collect toward outstanding overpayments.

The law allows overpayments to be recovered by deducting 10% of benefits. However, previously overpayment recovery was usually set at 5%.

What’s happening?

OW and ODSP’s policy directives have changed, and caseworkers are expected to set the overpayment recovery rate at 10% when the cause of the overpayment is believed to be in the recipient’s control to have prevented.

I have an existing or new overpayment. What can I do?


  • notice an increase of the overpayment recovery on your statement of assistance
  • receive a notice of a new overpayment
  • receive a letter from the Financial Services Office


Contact Kingston Community Legal Clinic by phone at 613-541-0777 or by dropping by 345 Bagot Street.


Legal, News, Provincial Budget

Potential cuts to Legal Aid funding in Ontario could impact Local Community Services

The Provincial budget of April 11, 2019, calls for significant cuts to Legal Aid funding in Ontario. If these cuts are of the reported magnitude of 30%, it could result in a serious reduction in front-line services in the City of Kingston, Township of South Frontenac, and Township of Frontenac Islands.

The Kingston Community Legal Clinic provides legal services, education, and information to our communities, as well as helping our most vulnerable residents keep food on their tables and a roof over their heads.

“We are calling on the Attorney General, Caroline Mulroney, to make a commitment to access to justice, and to respect the commitment of her government to not decrease front line services, and to confirm that funding for community clinics will not be decreased” said Lenny Abramowicz, the Executive Director of the Association of Community Legal Clinics of Ontario.

“We don’t yet know how this apparent cut will affect our local clinic. We will work with our communities as the impact on our services becomes known” said John R. Done, Executive Director of the Kingston Community Legal Clinic.

Thank you for the opportunity to provide you with information about our Community Legal Clinic services. Should you have any questions, please contact:

John R. Done, Executive Director, Kingston Community Legal Clinic

613-541-0777, Ext. 25